Research & Fees
Librarians are always available in the Grosvenor Room to answer questions and assist patrons. Email and telephone reference service is available through our Contact Us service.
Research services provided
The Grosvenor Room provides limited staff-performed research services for a fee, including:
- New York State Census Records - if a print index is available -OR- a specific name, county, locality (including ward and enumeration district if applicable) and page number (or family number) is provided.
- City/Telephone Directory Lookups – The library has a complete set of Buffalo city directories as well as a large collection for other locations. See our City Directory Guide for a list of our holdings.
- Death Notices/Obituaries - if the exact death date is known.
Research services not provided:
- In-depth Research - Examples: "Please send me a copy of everything you have on the Jones family from Buffalo" or "My family came to Buffalo from Poland in the 1800s. Could you tell me what ship they arrived on?"
- New York State Vital Records Index - The library owns a copy of the NYS Vital Records Index. However, New York State regulations do not allow Library staff to search the records for others (remotely or locally).
- Newspaper Lookups - for a large quantity of material or when a specific date is not known. Example: high school sports records for a specific month or year; obituaries when the month and year are known, but not the specific death date.
- Lookups in microfilmed records - except for the record types listed under the Research services provided heading above.
Request Research Services
Research requests are performed in the order they are received and as staffing levels allow. Staff members are unable to perform research requests while patrons are waiting.
For patrons needing extensive research assistance, a list of researchers is found at the following link. Please note that the researchers are not affiliated with the library, and most do charge for their services.