Contact: Anne Conable, Library Foundation, 716-858-8050
Donald Levy, Siena College Research Institute, 518-783-2901
88% of Erie County Residents Have Favorable Opinion
of Buffalo & Erie County Public Libraries
Siena College Research Institute Poll Results Released
March 10, 2014 -- The Library Foundation of Buffalo & Erie County, an independent foundation that manages endowment funds for Buffalo & Erie County Public Libraries, has released the results of a use and perception study conducted by the Siena College Research Institute. In late 2013 registered voters from across Erie County were randomly surveyed by telephone with several questions to determine their use and perceptions of the local Library System compared to other area institutions. They were also asked whether they would be in favor of a restructuring proposal for the Library System intended to streamline governance, stabilize annual funding and give the public a greater voice in the Libraries.
Highlights of the poll results include:
- The Library is well regarded by Erie County voters with an 88% overall positive rating.
- 73% of Erie County voters surveyed have a Library card.
- 79% use the Library; 37% of those respondents use the Library at least once a month.
- 76% of those surveyed responded positively to the creation of a Special Legislative District for the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library System if current funding levels can be maintained.
- Because a public awareness campaign has not yet been launched, the survey indicated that general understanding of the Library District Initiative is low.
- As respondents received more information about the District concept, their interest in it as a means to stabilize the Library System increased.
Library Foundation President Victor Rice commented, “The Library Foundation Trustees believe that this survey validates the importance of libraries to this community. Based on the positive results and the need to stabilize funding sources, the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library System should move toward educating the public on the advantages of becoming a Library District. Working with the Library System Board of Trustees, the Library Foundation fully supports the Initiative which will make the Library System more efficient, accountable and responsive to Erie County voters.”
At the Library Foundation’s request, the full Siena College survey report has been posted on the Library System’s website at: http://bit.ly/1itdLDh (the Siena Poll Executive Summary) and http://bit.ly/PjC21W (the Siena Poll Crosstabs).
The Library Foundation of Buffalo & Erie County and its independent Board of Trustees manages the Library’s endowment funds under the auspices of the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo, and supports special projects within the Library’s Strategic Plan with a particular focus on Rare Books & Special Collections.
The Library Foundation of Buffalo & Erie County, 1 Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 14203 716.858.8050