What is an eLibraryCard?
An eLibraryCard is a library card that will be sent to your home address via US Mail which allows use of the Library’s many online resources and public computer services. It expires in three (3) years and must be renewed to remain active. Once you receive the card, it may be used to
- Borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Download Music that you can keep forever
- Perform research using the Library’s databases and other electronic resources
- Use a Library Computer
- Place requests for physical books, music, and videos, etc. [Before items can be checked out, you will need to upgrade your eLibraryCard to a traditional B&ECPL card (with full borrowing privileges) at any Library location with required acceptable identification].
You Can Apply Online for an eLibraryCard
To apply for an eLibraryCard online, you must be an Erie County resident and at least 17 years old. An email address is required to complete the application. Online applicants are also required to submit acceptable identification via email or fax. All others may apply for a library card in person by visiting any B&ECPL location. See How do I get a library card? If you already have a B&ECPL library card, you do not need an eLibraryCard.
How to Get an eLibraryCard
To receive your eLibraryCard, click the Apply for an eLibraryCard button below and fill out the form. Once submitted, a message with instructions will be sent to your email address. All online applicants must submit proof of identification and your signature. E-mail submissions may include a digital or smart phone camera photo of your identification. Preferred acceptable identification includes:
- New York State driver's license with current street address. A license with a Post Office Box or a commercially available personal mailbox (for example a PMB available through Mail Boxes Etc.) will not be accepted. (NYS driver’s license example)
- Picture identification card with name, current address and signature
- Dwelling lease. (Rental lease example)
- Voter's registration card with current address. (Voter registration card example)
- See acceptable identification for additional options.
It may take up to two (2) weeks to process and send an eLibraryCard to your home address. An eLibraryCard may be upgraded to a traditional B&ECPL card at any time when you visit any B&ECPL library and bring acceptable identification.
The Buffalo & Erie County Public Library does not retain (virtually or in print) any proof of identification submitted during the online application process