GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- The Buffalo & Erie County Public Library values its donors. It gratefully accepts monetary gifts and donations of library materials in good condition.
- The purpose of a formal recognition program is to thank donors, to encourage others to give, and to build healthy long-term relationships between the B&ECPL and its donors. Every effort will be made to ensure that recognition is timely, meaningful to the donor, appropriate and equitable.
- All gifts (designated and undesignated) are subject to the terms of this policy. Undesignated gifts will be utilized at the discretion of the B&ECPL Board of Trustees or its designee in accordance with this policy and/or the B&ECPL Collection Development Policy.
- The Library makes every effort to honor the wishes of donors. Gifts on which a donor places restrictions or special conditions will be allowed only if those restrictions or conditions are accepted by the B&ECPL Board of Trustees or its designee.
- Gift materials will be evaluated by the same materials selection standards that apply to purchased materials.
- When appropriate, the Library may add gift items to its collections; however, gifts of books, magazines, tapes, etc. will be accepted with the understanding that the Library reserves the right to add them to its collection, distribute them to other libraries, sell or discard them.
- Personal property, art objects, portraits, antiques, and other collectibles will be accepted at the discretion of the Library Director or his or her designee. The Director may enlist the feedback of the B&ECPL Board of Trustees depending on the item or offer.
- A receipt will be provided at the donor's request. The B&ECPL will not appraise or estimate the value of gift donations. The responsibility for such appraisal lies with the donor.
- The B&ECPL may consider individual plaques, paving stones or equivalent acknowledgement for substantial donations at the discretion of the B&ECPL Board of Trustees. The B&ECPL reserves the right to name or re-name designated facilities, resources or collections if the terms of a donation are not honored, if the term (duration) of a donation expires, or if the B&ECPL Board of Trustees determines that continued association does not support the mission or image of the B&ECPL.
- The B&ECPL shall maintain donor confidentiality when requested by donor, subject to disclosure upon request for consent of the donor or pursuant to subpoena, court order or where otherwise required by law.
Adopted April 18, 2002 - Supersedes B&ECPL Gift Policy
Amended June 17, 2010, per Res. 2009-45.