Senior Services Available Through the B&ECPL
The Buffalo & Erie County Public Library offers a variety of programming materials to activities professionals who work with seniors. These include Bi-Folkal Kits and Mini-Kits, Reminisce Kits and Other Theme-Related Senior Activity Kits. These kits can be requested and borrowed by any agency using a valid Buffalo & Erie County Public Library Agency Card.
- To download an agency card application click here
Bi-Folkal Kits and Bi-Folkal Mini-Kits
A Bi-Folkal kit is a "program-in-a-bag" designed to be used by program leaders who work with seniors. It can be easily adapted to mixed-age groups and can be used in a variety of settings such as nursing homes, senior centers, and libraries. Kits are available on a variety of topics and are designed to spark memories from the past. Designed for a shorter program, mini-kits also contain information and activity suggestions that will encourage reminiscing.
What's in a Bi-Folkal Kit and Bi-Folkal Mini-Kit?
Each deluxe kit comes in a sturdy yellow and blue bag. The kits are multi-sensory; kits contain items that trigger memories through sight (photographs, pictures, videos, slides), sound (musical recordings, sing-along songs), smell (some kits contain scented stickers), taste (suggestions for food to taste), and touch (objects, textures related to the topic). Mini-kits come in a red bag and generally include a media presentation (slides or video) and a leader's guide with programming ideas on a variety of topics.
- To view a complete list of kits click here
How to Request a Senior Programming Kit
- Kits may be requested by calling 858-7159 or by filling out and submitting a request form from this site
- If requesting by phone please provide the following information
- Your name
- Agency name
- Agency contact phone number
- The kit(s) you would like to request
- The approximate date you would like to pick up the kit
- The library at which you would like to pick up the kit
You will receive a confirmation phone call or email within two business days regarding the availability of the kit.
- Kits are reserved on a first-come first-serve basis. Therefore, it is recommended that you have a second or third choice in mind when requesting a kit.
- To reserve a kit click here
What are the Requirements?
- Bi-Folkal Kits and Senior Programming Kits (Reminisce and Senior Activity Kits) are available to agencies only.
- An agency wishing to check out a kit must fill out an agency application (see above to download an application). This application will be filled out by an individual who has been authorized by the agency head. The application may then be taken to any Buffalo & Erie County Public Library location. Once the application is processed, a library card will be issued to the agency. This card must be presented each time a kit is checked out. By filling out and signing the application, the agency accepts financial responsibility for use of library resources. Fines for overdue kits are $1.00/day. If a kit is lost, the agency will be responsible for the cost of the entire kit.
- Kits may be checked out for six weeks. Kits may not be renewed.
Senior Resource Subject Guide
Links to national and local resources and catalog links to library resources