Educator Library Cards
To facilitate the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library’s outreach efforts to schools in Erie County, we are pleased to offer expanded access to library resources and services through our Educator Library Card. If you are a teacher employed at Pre-K-12 schools, home school educator or day care provider living or working in our service area, and you have a personal library card in good standing, you are eligible for an Educator Card.
To obtain an application, visit any Buffalo & Erie County Public Library or download the application here.
- Check out up to 100 items.
- Classroom and personal use material must be checked out on separate library cards.
- Six (6) week loan periods on selected materials used in the classroom.
- For use at any Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, including Bookmobile.
Borrowing Limits: up to 100 items may be checked out on your card at any time.
Loan Periods: Six (6) week loan period on books and audiobooks with the exception of new items; standard loan periods on all other items (e.g. DVDs, CDs, magazines).
Hold Requests: Up to 50 holds allowed on eligible items; please cancel any requests that you decide you no longer need.
Checkouts: Eligible items may be borrowed from any B&ECPL location, including Bookmobile.
Returns: Return borrowed items to any B&ECPL location. Please return them promptly so that others may borrow them.
Library Notices: Will be emailed to you when a requested item is headed your way, when a borrowed item is nearing its due date and when an item is overdue. Circulation privileges, including the ability to place holds and borrow or renew items, are suspended when you reach $50.01 in charges and/or when 15 or more items become overdue. The item(s) must be returned to restore these privileges.
Additionally, materials that are 21 days overdue are considered assumed lost and you will be charged for replacement and processing costs.
- Your Educator Card may only be used for classroom materials and is not for personal use.
- Please be aware that you are responsible for any lost or damaged material checked out to your Educator Card.
- Chromebook kits, hotspots, and Library of Things are excluded.
- Items on Educator Library Cards are eligible for 1 autorenewal.
How to Qualify: To qualify for an Educator Card, you must submit identification showing your current status as a teacher (grades preschool-12), homeschool educator, or day care provider.
- Please complete the application and bring it, along with your personal library card, to any B&ECPL location.
- Your personal library card must be in good standing, meaning your card is current and you do not owe fees over $50.01.
- Teachers must provide proof of employment for the school year on school letterhead.
- Homeschoolers must provide a copy of Letter of Intent submitted to the School District.
- Certified daycare center provider must provide proof of certification at the time of registration/renewal.
Card Expiration: Your card will expire one year from the date the card was issued. Renewal is subject to your continued employment as an Erie County Educator. Appropriate verification must be provided yearly.